“Modernizing the Mission: The Daughters of Charity and Sisters’ Hospital, Los Angeles, 1856-1900.”

“Modernizing the Mission: The Daughters of Charity and Sisters’ Hospital, Los Angeles, 1856-1900.”

Fall Quarter DRMA Lecture*

Kristine Ashton Gunnell, Ph.D., History, Claremont Graduate University

 

Monday, October 17, 2011, 11:30am – 1pm

Richardson Library, Rosati Room 300
2350 N Kenmore Avenue 
Chicago, IL 60614 (773) 325-7862

 

Description: Shortly after their arrival in 1856, the Daughters of Charity opened the first hospital in Los Angeles. Throughout its tenure, the Daughters of Charity have demonstrated considerable adaptability and innovation as they have adjusted their services both to the demands of the modernizing medical marketplace and to the changing needs of the sick poor. The Daughters of Charity collaborated with government officials and cooperated with physicians, but the sisters consistently constructed (and fiercely protected) an autonomous space in which they could implement their spiritual goals. In Los Angeles, the Daughters of Charity extended their charitable services without regard to race or creed and acted as a major fixture in the city’s nascent healthcare system in the late nineteenth century.

 

Please see the Flyer for more details. We will record the lecture and post on the lectures section of the mission.depaul.edu website.

 

 

*The annual DeAndreis-Rosati Memorial Archives Lectures highlight the history and activities of the Congregation of the Mission (Vincentians) of the United States as researched, in whole or in part, by utilizing the archival resources provided by the DeAndreis-Rosati Memorial Archives in the Richardson Library of DePaul University.


Views: 72

Comment

You need to be a member of Vincentian History Research Network to add comments!

Join Vincentian History Research Network

© 2019   Created by Brian Cicirello.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service